Monday, November 3, 2014

Oh this week.

Missed a blog during firing. Oops. I'd consider the Woodfire a success because I didn't lose many pieces. I used more celadon in this firing and really liked the results from that. Most of the shino turned too orange this firing. I was hoping for more white clear with dark marks like in previous firings. I'm not sure if it was the reduction cool or the placement of my stuff or that the glaze was just thinner this time. I lost most of daltons drawing so the leftovers that didn't make it in the woodfire were fired with cone 10 as I would have put them in the woodfire. I wanted to have some peices that showed the drawings since they mostly disappeared and didn't want to risk losing them again.
I'm in the process of making teeter totters for BFA. I've collected a tire and lots of logs and driftwood for them and have to have a few made for crit Tuesday to get feedback for my meeting with KMAC curator on wed. I really need to make a few more pieces before wed as well to Gove joey some options. Wanting to have a few mugs plates and bowls made with colored mason stained wedged porcelain. I'm thinking the colors might appeal to him more displayed with some of daltons playdoh pieces. Well find out.

Sam Marissa and I have formed a group for the installation project. I'm trying to come up with a project we can do that won't require us to make a lot of new stuff so that we can get more work ready for the next Woodfire and the BFA show while creating something we can talk about in the future that still applies to all of our work. I've considered a few things:
1) we have clay taking over and enveloping different parts of campus...maybe some of the clock tower maybe some part of some campus signs (something that would represent the academic) ....this would reflect the concept of clay taking over our lives and our schooling.
2) we use dried scraps and leftover pieces that didn't make the cut (sam's giant pots that cracked all to hell and scrap post-it that have cracked and chipped and broken and cracked fired pieces from the woodfire of mine. I also have lots of trimmings and cups that got too dry to trim and attach handles to that I've crushed to fit in my scraps trash bag. The concept for this one is still pretty lose ill have to talk to the group more to formulate a concept that more directly applies to all of us. For me it would be using what's already been used and rejected to make something new and exciting. This would give rejected clay new life and a second chance. I think this could apply to all of us because clay in its natural form in the earth isn't generally thought of as useful (i know sam has been finicking with it but) you can't really plant flowers in it or start a garden where ever it naturally occurs because its too hard to dig up and collects the water instead of the plant. I'm thinking using something that's rejected (referencing natural clay...although a few different clay types will be used) that has again been rejected (because of cracking or holes being trimmed into the underside of a bowl etc) and reclaiming them as something that can still be used or that is still significant. This would be saying that even though something does not meet the requirements for the originally intended thing... those pieces still tell a story of process, learning, and trying...something all three of us do on a daily basis. As far as where to install I'm thinking somewhere where these scraps can take over. Again saying these processes take over the work and our lives. Or having them simply on a pedistal saying that even these discarded things are important to all of our making processes.

Still tinkering with more ideas in my mind. I say if we all have two different ideas it should be easy to come up with something. Waiting to hear ideas from the rest of the group.

Here's a few pics from the past couple weeks. I've already posted pics of tajines. Here's the woodfire. And one of my wood hunting excursion for the BFA this weekend. I'm still working on sanding and will have pics up of project pieces after the firing asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment